Here are some tips to ensure your prepared to have a good time during your spring portrait session. Let’s dive in …
1. Wear layers. Spring can be finicky in the sense that you can go from frigid to over heated in a matter of minutes. I suggest wearing layers — tank top, tee shirt, cardigan, scarf, etc. Each family member can peel off, or add, a layer as they see fit and remain comfortable throughout the session.
2. Location is a big deal. You better believe we’re going to take advantage of the fresh air and all those bud popping up from the ground and in the trees. If you have any favorite locations, let me know. I have a good list of locations we can brainstorm from when deciding what would work best.
3. Play into the colors of the season when choosing your family’s outfits. Fresh pops of green, blue, pink and yellow are always a hit in the springtime. I recommend choosing a color theme for the whole gang, then slightly deviating from that with accessories to keep things interesting.
4. Speaking of accessories: wear them. Choose jewelry, scarves, or prints that play into the spring theme. Butterflies, flowers, insects, etc, can up the adorable factor with the kids in family pictures.
5. Time it right. Book a session too early and you may miss out on those spring buds. Book too late and you’ve already wandered into summer territory. Book an open-ended session and we’ll keep an eye on the weather and schedule the session when the time is right. And since bookings are done in a first-come, first-serve approach, the earlier you book, the better spot you have in the schedule.
6. Incorporate props. Spring offers some beautiful backdrops where props blend in perfectly. For example, old wooden chairs can add a little character in a field of blooming wildflowers. And a quilted blanket is a good look on the fresh, green grass.
7. Really think about your footwear. Spring can often mean a soggy ground, so flip-flops or heels are not the best choice. Instead, wear something comfortable and spring appropriate, like loafers, flats or boots.